The year 2014, like every year before that and quite possibly every year after that, was an year of ups and downs. Thatnkfully I did not have to think hard to recognize that the ups out-numbered the downs. So the portfolio at the end of the day is greeen. Here is a brief summary of 2014 wrt freefincal.
1) The most fulfilling event for me was the chance to interact with readers, Facebook friends and members of facebook group Asan Ideas for Wealth via the investor meets. The first was held at Chennai on Nov. 1st. It would not have been possible but for the efforts of Srinivasan Sundararaman of MoneyKare, Wealth Managers. I was astonished and honored by Srini's kindness and generosity. When I speak with him, I feel like I know him all my life but I had actually met him for the first time only after he agreed to organize the meet. You can see the photos from the meet here and videos here (forenoon session) and here (afternoon session)
On Dec. 14th the Bangalore meet was held. Seats were sold out for the meet in 4 days and we have more than 110 people pre-registered for the next meet. I have full semester coming up with the Mumbai meet on 1st Feb. and most likely the Delhi meet on 15th March. So we plan to hold the second meet in April when the semester is nearly over.
Who is 'we'? This is who: The Bangalore workshop organizing committee.
Muthu Krishnan (Patience and discipline) and Krishna (how to start direct equity investments) spoke at the meet along with me. I was delighted to chat with some of the participants during the breaks. I also met Kirti Desai who runs bemoneyaware.com
Here is hoping I am fit enough to complete the two scheduled workshops and plan for a couple of more depending on my health later in the year.
2) I was able to post with reasonable regularity. Here is a selection of posts (about 1/3 rd) of what was published this year.
Here is a selection of posts (about 1/3 rd) of what was published this year. You can also check out the updated complete archive
- Imbibe, Implement, Ignore:Suggested New Year Resolutions for InvestorsJanuary 2, 2014
- How to select mutual fund categories suitable for your financial goals?January 5, 2014
- Excel inflation-indexed annuity calculators to plan your retirementJanuary 9, 2014
- Generating an inflation-protected income with a lump sumJanuary 12, 2014
- Sensex Total Returns Index as a Mutual Fund BenchmarkJanuary 16, 2014
- Inflation-protected Income SimulatorJanuary 19, 2014
- Laddering Term Life Insurance Policies -Calculate and CustomizeJanuary 23, 2014
- Dynamic Asset Allocation Mutual Funds: Yield Gap vs. P/E RatioJanuary 28, 2014
- Cashless Mediclaim: A Second Person NarrativeFebruary 13, 2014
- The trouble with rent vs. buy calculatorsFebruary 18, 2014
- Mutual Fund Analysis: Reliance Growth FundFebruary 24, 2014
- Mutual Fund Capital Gains CalculatorFebruary 27, 2014
- The perils of unexpected recurring expensesMarch 4, 2014
- What is Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)? Part I: Lump Sum InvestingMarch 6, 2014
- Should I invest for my child’s marriage?March 8, 2014
- India VIX: The Stock Market Volatility IndexMarch 10, 2014
- The cost of a chronic illnessMarch 13, 2014
- National Pension Scheme (NPS): Returns generated by Pension Fund ManagersMarch 15, 2014
- What You Need To Know Before Hiring a Financial AdvisorMarch 16, 2014
- Review Your Retirement Portfolio in Seven Easy Steps March 25, 2014
- What you need to know before hiring a Mutual Fund Distributor?March 27, 2014
- S&P BSE Indices Historical Data DownloaderMarch 29, 2014
- What is your best money saving tip? March 30, 2014Mutual Fund Investing: Risk vs. Reward vs. VolatilityJuly 22, 2014
- Young Earners: Do not invest Rs. 1.5 Lakh in PPF!July 19, 2014
- How Do Arbitrage Mutual Funds Work?July 17, 2014
- Personal Finance Essentials For Young EarnersJuly 15, 2014
- Mutual Fund Returns: Distant Past vs. Recent PastJuly 14, 2014
- The key to successful mutual fund investing July 7, 2014
- Relevance of the Nifty PE for the long-term investorJuly 1, 2014
- Portfolio Diversification: Correlation among Stock SectorsJune 28, 2014
- Portfolio Diversification with International StocksJune 26, 2014
- Quantifying Portfolio Diversification – Part IJune 23, 2014
- Understanding Risk-Adjusted Return: PPFAS Long Term Value FundJune 17, 2014
- O Captain! My Captain!June 15, 2014
- Mutual Fund Analysis With the Ulcer Index June 12, 2014
- Calculating Returns from a Mutual Fund SIPJune 10, 2014
- Mutual Fund Analysis: Quantum Equity Fund of FundJune 8, 2014
- Simplify Mutual Fund Analysis with Upside/Downside Capture RatiosJune 4, 2014
- Prepay Home Loan or Invest?June 2, 2014
- Mutual Fund Risk and Return AnalyzerMay 30, 2014
- Simple Steps to De-risk Your Investment PortfolioMay 28, 2014
- The Young Earners Tax-planning Cheat SheetMay 26, 2014
- Gold is riskier than Stocks!May 24, 2014
- How important is mutual fund selection?May 22, 2014
- Inflation in India: Some Real NumbersMay 20, 2014
- Growth vs. Dividend Reinvestment Mutual Funds: Which Should I choose?May 14, 2014
- Interview with Dr. Uma ShashikantMay 12, 2014
- Multi-index Mutual Fund Rolling Returns CalculatorMay 9, 2014
- Mutual Fund Size vs. Performance: A Case StudyMay 5, 2014
- How many mutual funds should I hold?May 3, 2014
- Mutual Fund Portfolio Comparison ToolMay 1, 2014
- Building a Diversified Equity Portfolio with Sector Mutual FundsApril 28, 2014
- Is it possible to retire early in India?April 25, 2014
- Are Mutual Fund SIPs Suitable for Disciplined Long-Term Investors?April 23, 2014
- National Pension Scheme (NPS): Do not invest unless you get tax benefits!April 21, 2014
- Four Simple Retirement Planning ToolsApril 19, 2014
- How to Select Debt Mutual Funds Suitable For Your Financial Goals?April 17, 2014
- What does it take to do your own financial planning?April 15, 2014
- Things to do AFTER you take a term insurance policy!April 6, 2014
- Multi-Index Mutual Fund SIP/Lump Sum Returns AnalyzerApril 4, 2014
- Mutual Fund Analysis: Quantum Long Term EquityApril 1, 2014
3) This year my wife took up photography. You can check out some of her photos here: yourshot.national.geographic.com
4) Freefincal has grown at a steady pace this year. I would like to thank all readers, friends and well-wishers who have kept me going. I have become quite irregular in answering emails and comments this year. Will do better from today.
Finally, let us welcome the new year with my fav. line from the movie Tombstone. It is a 3 second clip!
Subscribe to get posts via email"How to" articles; unbiased analysis; free, yet comprehensive calculators and money Management solutions delivered to your inbox!
Buy our New Book!You Can Be Rich With Goal-based Investing A book by P V Subramanyam (subramoney.com) & M Pattabiraman. Hard bound. Price: Rs. 399/- and Kindle Rs. 349/-. Read more about the book and pre-order now!