Between Nov 1st 2014 to Nov. 2015 we* conducted several investor workshops at Chennai (thrice), Bangalore(fives times!), Mumbai (once), Delhi (twice), Pune(once) and Hyderabad(once). *Each event had multiple speakers. Ashal Jauhari joined me for the last four events.
Video segments from Ashal’s talk were posted last week: Can you really save tax with a home loan?!
Due to multiple reasons (health, travel fatigue, incompatible time schedules etc.) Ashal and I have decided to put these workshops on hold at least for a while.
Before the Chennai floods, I was planning to hold these workshops in webinar mode. The webinar idea was delayed because my son did not go to school for a month due to rains! Soon after I decided to make short videos, many of which had slides used in the workshops. Here are a couple of links:
- Understanding Annualized Return: CAGR and XIRR
- What is CAGR – Compound Annual Growth Rate: Video
- Full video archive
The webinar lost stream and I realized it is better to simply post the presentation on youtube in parts – should have listened to Ramesh Mangal earlier!
Without further ado, here is part 1. Relevant notes and links are provided below. I am conditioned to speak before an audience. I hate talking to a computer. I hope I have not lost concentration and make reasonable sense.
References and Notes
A person’s financial castle with multiple moats.
Term Life Insurance:
- Do not decide insurance sum randomly!
- It has to provide inflation-protected income to you family!
- Claim Settlement ratio does not matter!
- Insurance calculator for the young earner
- Insurance calculator with child planner also see: How to plan for your child’s education and marriage
- How to choose a term life insurance provider in 30 minutes!
- Things to do AFTER you take a term insurance policy!
- How to Buy a Health Insurance Policy
- Things to do AFTER you buy a health insurance policy
- Go for individual cover if possible
- For floater plan try not to include senior citizens or those who are of fragile health.
- Do not buy a top-up policy for your company mediclaim!
- Try to increase sum insured each year.
- Open a recurring deposit or deposit some amount each month for the annual premium. Remember that premium can increase due to a number of reasons.
- Reg. hosp costs: Please check with local hospitals in your neighbourhood reg the cost of a ‘decent’ private room. Suppose this is Rs. 5000 a day, your cover should at least be 5000/1% = 5 Lakhs. Here 1% is the room rent sub-limit (mentioned incorrectly as 2% in the video). If the room rent is much higher, it is better to go for a policy with no sub-limits.
Action Plan Insurance
- The child planner has a section which allows you to discuss with your spouse as to how the term life insurance sum should be managed (in the unfortunate event of your death).
- A MF Utility account (suggested by Balaji Swaminathan) can be opened for the spouse/partner to get access to all your direct mutual fund holdings
If you have any observations or questions please leave a comment.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. The Kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is now only Rs 199 (Kindle Rs. 99) Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)