Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS) refers to a class of mutual funds in which an investment up to Rs. 1.5 Lakh a financial year can be used for reducing our taxable income. Here are some lesser known facts about ELSS mutual funds based on two Fin Min Gazette notifications (linked below). I could not locate any recent notification on this, so I assume the rules have not changed. Please correct me, if I am wrong.
ELSS fund rules are stipulated by finance ministry and not SEBI.
1. Minimum investment is Rs. 500 and any investment has to be in multiple of Rs. 500. All my ELSS investments were this way, but I did not realise that this was a rule!
2. ELSS funds only need be open for subscription for 3 months in any FY. They can close after that. We have both closed-ended and open-ended ELSS schemes.
3. If the unitholder dies, the nominee or heir shall obtain the units or corresponding value only after one year from the date of allotment of each unit. If the unitholder is running a SIP and the nominee does not inform the AMC to stop it, this rule would still apply!
4. ELSS funds can only invest in equities and bonds that are convertible to share . Arbitrage is not allowed.
5. ELSS funds should remain invested in 80% equity and convertible bonds at all times. It can hold 20% in cash or money market instruments to handle redemptions. The 80% equity can be managed as per the wishes of the AMC. They can be large-cap, multi-cap or mid-cap funds.
6. Each AMC is allowed to have one open-ended ELSS fund with SEBI approval. Birla has three! Edelweiss and L&T two each! An AMC can have any number of closed-ended ELSS funds!
Chennai DIY Investor Workshop Jan 29th 2017
The fifth Chennai DIY investor workshop will be held on Jan 29th 2017. Ashal Jauhari and I shall be the speakers. Read more and register for the event.
What Readers Say about You Can be Rich Too
You Can be Rich Too With Goal Based Investing is my new book with Subra(money.com) published by CNBC TV 18.
on 27 November 2016The “best value for money 399 rs” you will ever spend in your life. You will not come across any better no-nonsense authors in personal finance space in India. Totally recommended.
“A must read for every beginner , or even for a seasoned investor , who are lost somewhere in the process. Each chapter is so nicely explained with no jagrons , be it related to Insurance , Investment , Taxation or Mutual Funds.
And at the end calculators are just an eye opener when you put the real numbers , that makes the end Icing on the cake”. By shavneet on 16 November 2016
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)