In a shocking move, the prime minister announced that Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes cannot be used as legal tender from midnight 8th Nov. 2016. The main issue is handling this crisis for next week or so until things calm down.
ATMs will not work for the next two days and banks the next day as they prepare themselves for this transition. Thankfully, we can still buy petrol with these notes until Nov. 11th. But they may not accept these notes – they will anyway have to give it to the bank! Bus and railway booking can also be done with these notes.
To handle this suddenly development calmly
- we need to first scrounge around for Rs. 100, Rs. 50. Rs. 10 Rs. 5 notes and coins to pay for small transactions in the next few days.
- We just finished checking the money in our God-pot 🙂 – a pot in which we put some money each month to be handed over to a temple. Feels like Chennai floods all over again!
- Use debit or credit card as much as possible. Offer to do a bank transfer.
- Avoid going to banks or ATMs for the next few days if possible. Expect long queues perhaps in fear! Same for petrol bunks.
- Lend some cash to hired help.
- Provide exact change to shops that do not take plastic money.
The Rs. 500 or Rs. 1000 that you have can be deposited before Dec. 30. They will then become valuable again. Else up to Rs. 4000 can be exchanged at Banks or post offices. This is not necessary, in my opinion.
Please share if you can think of anything else.
Subscribe and join the freefincal Youtube community!
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)