Investors need to update missing KYC information to continue investing in mutual fund investing. There are typically two pieces of missing information
(1) In-person verification of joint holders. Before April 12 2012, in-person verification (IPV) of joint unit holders was not mandatory. When I opened an account with HDFDC mf nearly 6 years ago, only I got the IPV done. Not my wife. HDFC MF sent an intimation that my wife had to get the IPV done now.
Also, from Jan 1st 2012 new KYC norms were introduced and I had earlier submitted the revised KYC form. So my KYC status was “KYC REGISTERED – New KYC”. My wife did not do this.
(2) FATCA Self-Certification
All unit holders, including residents should submit their tax resident status with a FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) self-certification form along with self-attested PAN card photocopy. This ensures US and Canadian NRIs do not hold any Indian mutual fund units.
This is a madatory requirement even for those with “KYC REGISTERED – New KYC” status. I dont think IPV is necessary for this. Please check with customer care in this regard.
I was asked to give this form when I with my wife for her IPV.
What you should do
(1) Check the KYC status from here
(2) If it does not say KYC-new, and/or if there is some “missing information”, those unit holders must get their KYC done. They need to go to any mutual fund customer service location, CAMS or Karvy with original and photocopies of Pan Card and address proof (suggest you give Aadhar if available), along with “KYC change form” for IPV.
(3) Even if it says KYC-new and missing information entry is blank, you still need to give the FATCA self-certfication form along with PAN card photocopy.
Get this done asap like removing a band-aid. Complaining about paperwork does not help anyone.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google Plus and Pinterest
Do check out my books
You Can Be Rich Too with Goal-Based InvestingMy first book is now available at a 35% discount for Rs. 258. It comes with nine online calculators. Get it now. The kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantGet it or gift it to a young earner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaGet the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneInstall Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)