This is an update to the mutual fund risk and return analyzer which helps you gauge performance of equity mutual funds on risk-adjusted basis for investment durations ranging from the past 1 year to the past 9 years.
Nithin and Nilesh Patel pointed out that the sheet gave an error. Thanks to them, I found that the error was because of the BSE server urls. They had changed the format for some indices. This is a major disappointment as we could easily retrieve the data in the old format. Members of FB group, Asan Ideas for Wealth also helped in testing it and confirming the error.
Therefore, I had to remove the BSE server dependence and work with Yahoo finance plus index history stored in the sheet. If you can help retrieve data from the present format of the BSE server, please let me know.
How to use this analyzer
- Choose the fund category.
- List all funds in that category at Value Research Online.
- Spot the funds which have been in the top 10 in terms of returns over the past 3, 5 and 10 years (3,5 alone should also do).
- Create a shortlist based on the above criterion. About 5 funds, not more.
- Analyze the funds with this sheet and look for consistent risk-return score and consistent downside protection and invest in one of them.
- This will take you about 30 minutes or so.
Features of the risk and return analyzer
For equity mutual funds, you can
- Determine SIP and lump sum returns for investment duration up to 9 years (updated from 8)
- Evaluate performance taking into account the risk taken for the return achieved (13 metrics are computed. See list here). A percentage score is assigned to the fund for each investment duration based on values of the 13 different risk/return metrics.
- Fund versus benchmark (Nifty, CNX 100, CNX Mid Cap, CNX 500, Sensex, BSE Small Cap, Mid Cap, BSE 100,200, 50)
- Fund and benchmark performance wrt a risk–free rate that you choose for each investment duration
- Fund and benchmark performance wrt a minimum acceptable rate that you choose for each investment duration
This analyzer can be used by ALL retail investors. NO knowledge of risk and return analysis is required to use the sheet and understand the results!
Here is how Quantum Long Term equity fared.
No alarming drop in performance. Cash in the portfolio or no cash in the portfolio, I see no reason to exit my QLTE holdings. As Ashal Jauhari put it, ‘I am in my comfort zone when it comes to QLTE’.
I will post more such risk-return graphs in a second post.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google Plus and Pinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. The Kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is now only Rs 199 (Kindle Rs. 99) Get it or gift it to a young earner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)