Here is the updated version of the Mutual Fund SIP Returns Analyzer published in Oct. 2013. You can use this tool to analyze the returns from monthly SIP investments in mutual funds for investment periods ranging from one to seven years. For comparison, SIP returns from BSE Sensex, CNX Nifty, CNX Midcap, CNX 500 and BSE Bankex obtained from Yahoo Finance is also calculated.
I earlier got the data from the NSE site. Unfortunately, the NSE server did not send the data every time, and there were often errors. So I have now switched the Excel web query to Yahoo Finance.
Yahoo Finance does not store CNX Small Cap data. So that option is not longer offered.
If you are interested in any other index data tracked by Yahoo Finance, let me know. I will add it to this analyzer.
- Choose the mutual fund you need to analyze, click the analyze fund macro button and observe the results! As simple as that.
- Mutual Fund NAV history from 3rd April 2006 to the last business day are retrieved from the AMFI website.
- Why April 3rd 2006? That is the last date in the AMFI database! If you want NAV history from fund inception you can use this downloader to retrieve it from Yahoo! Finance. However, this is not possible for some funds like HDFC Top 200.
- SIP returns, investment value, total units etc. are calculated for investment durations ranging from 1 to years with the last business day as the end-date
- Choose a relevant equity index, click the analyze index macro button and observe results!
- Lump sum returns for (approximately) the same period as the SIP durations is also calculated for the fund and index.
- You can also calculate returns for any two dates within the NAV history (instructions in the file)
- Here is a screenshot of the Mutual Fund SIP Returns Analyzer
- Important: Use growth option only for analysis. Do you know why?!
Download the Mutual Fund SIP Returns Analyzer (Jan. 2014)
Do let me know your feedback on this tool. It will take me about a day or so to reply. Don't let that stop you from writing in!