Whether you are contemplating early retirement or are close to your natural retirement, here are four simple calculators than can answer four important questions:
- What is the corpus required for financial independence in retirement?
- How long will my retirement corpus last?
- How much can I withdraw from my corpus each year?
- What is the rate of return required for financial independence?
This sheet is an update to the previously published Excel inflation-indexed annuity calculators
Question no. 4, the rate of return required for financial independence is probably the most important question for any retiree.
If this is too large,
- for someone heading towards natural retirement, this means that the corpus is too small for active management and an annuity may have to be purchased.
- for someone seeking financial independence and early retirement, this means a postponement in retirement
When I published the previous version, I was under the impression that the rate of return cannot be determined directly and had to be done using Excels Goal-Seek function. So I had put in a Macro to do this like I did in the step-by-step guide to goal-based investing
Mr. Raghupathy Masilamani, wrote in suggesting that instead of a macro a simple formula can be used to calculate the rate of return when inflation is involved:
I have now incorporated this delightfully simple suggestion. A big thank you to Mr. Masilamani for educating me in this regard.
A standard retirement calculator is also included.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)