Here is how all NPS subscribers, including state and central govt. subscribers can make online contributions to NPS. This is post is meant for existing individual, corporate and government subscribers and is not a recommendation to invest in NPS.
If you have an existing account with valid PRAN no (permanent retirement account number), you can,
- Go to the ENPS page
- Enter your PRAN number and DOB.
- After authentication by OTP via both mobile and email, you can make contributions to Tier I or Tier II accounts.
- You can pay through debit card, credit card or internet banking options.
- I think Rs. 500 is the minimum amount, which I paid to check if the facility works for Government employee accounts. The whole process was quite smooth.
- As of now the Tier option shows ‘voluntary’. This implies a voluntary contribution to Tier I. There seems to be no option to invest in Tier II account. This can be done via an online SBI SB account.
Yes, this facility can be used for investing the extra Rs. 50, 000 tax benefit. However, do not Invest Rs. 50,000 in NPS For Saving Tax!
Remember that tax on this amount is being deferred until withdrawal and you need to pay tax as per slab, on not just the capital gains but on your contributions as well! Stay away from Corporate NPS, if You Wish to Retire ASAP!
If you wish to calculator your NPS corpus and annuity, you can use the recently published NPS Calculator.
Update 2: NPS: Partial Withdrawal Rules 2016 are just awful! Beware.
You Can Be Rich Too
My new book with PV Subramanyam, published by CNBC TV 18
The book comes with 9 online calculator modules to create your own financial plan.
Infibeam ₹ 280 with Coupon BS10
Googe Play Books App Store (₹ 244.30)
Read a Sample Chapter and Buy Now!
What Readers Say
- Simple and powerful This book empowers the reader with the concepts in easy to understand & simple form. Those who have been reading blogs of both authors would know that they are not only good with finance domain but also have a knack of simplifying the methods of investing for their readers. This book by them is a gem of financial knowledge for people who are starting to invest or want to get better at it. The presentation and the thought process with calculators is extremely powerful.The book should be read & calculators used simultaneously to understand the concepts well. The calculators when used with real inputs will show you where you are & where you need to reach for each of your goals. Don’t ignore these numbers.Learnings from Chapters 7 to 11 will help you avoid going off path & saving your money from financially hazardous products. With discipline & right approach suggested here you wouldn’t need a financial advisor to build wealth.
- This is perfect book on personal finance. Very nicely explained about taxation about debt mutual fund. Topics like early investing and asset allocation are very well explained. – Mahesh Deshmukh
- Highly Recommended For anyone who wishes to take control of his/her finance this book is a must read. Very simply put, even an amateur in finance will be able to understand and implement. The author genuinely attempts to inculcate the habit of investing among the people who have the ability to invest but refrain from doing it, either due to lack of time , interest or understanding!. The message from the book is ” Investment done without setting a goal/ objective is like leaving for a trip without knowing the destination, not everytime the end result will be promising. Hence, it’s important to invest in a planned & disciplined manner.” A read is highly recommended ????
- A must book for everyone who wants to take control of personal finance. Nice explanation of how a debt mutual fund works. Bonds trading and indexation benefits in high inflation years were something new I learnt. After reading this book you will be able to easily choose any funds, because you will know what that fund does or how that fund works
Read all reviews here: Amazon Reviews