So the Sukanya Samriddhi Account is now EEE. Investments, interest and maturity are tax-free like PFF. Here is why it means nothing and why I will never invest in it if I have a daughter (I don’t).
1) You can withdraw only 50% at the age of 18. My imaginary daughters education is more important to me that her marriage. So I would appreciate higher liquidity. I also find this feature bizarre.
2) Many, if not most, children graduate from school at age 17. The money will still be locked in this fancy sounding instrument. Fantastic!
3) Account will mature at age 21 or when she gets married. Fantastic again. Not much use to me.
I would rather open a PPF account the day she is born and invest about 40% here and rest in equity mutual funds. After 15 financial years, the full PPF corpus is liquid.
The idea is to have full liquidity on the entire corpus when she is about to enter college.
Liquidity is more important that returns. Adequate exposure to equity mutual funds will offset the 1% difference in return between Sukanya Samriddhi Account and PPF.
Verdict: Do not lock your in money in this fancy sounding scheme. It is not meant for those who read personal finance blogs.
New Delhi Investor Workshop on financial planning and goal-based investing
Register with the screen below or from the registration page
If you have friends or relatives in Delhi who you think could benefit from this workshop, please forward this link to them.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)