Use this calculator to check the benefits (if any) associated with switching your home loan. Either from one bank to another or from base rate to MCLR (Marginal Cost of Funds based Lending Rate). This is an updated version of the Home Loan Transfer Calculator (Mortgage Refinance) with an ability to check benefits for (a) same EMI, lower tenure and (b) reduced EMI, same tenure.
With the slashing of the one-year MCLR rate, home loans have got attractive by at least 1%. So it is now time to check if it is beneficial to transfer the loan to a rate. This is not exactly intuitive. The cost and fees have to be accounted for, along with the decrease in tax saving.
There are two ways to analyse a home loan transfer.
- If the net savings per month is used to prepay the home loan, how much quicker will the amortisation be completed? Support this is about 2 years. Then the total cost involved in transferring the home loan to a lower rate has resulted in a pre-closure. Is it worth that, is a question that we need to answer?
- What is the net savings were invested elsewhere? Letting the new home loan run its course? The costs can be recouped in a few years, and at the home loan tenure, one will have a decent corpus from the investment.
Consider a 15L outstanding balance on a loan with 20 years remaining and 9.7% (fixed rate). The EMI is 14,178.
If the new rate is 8.25% and total fees for transferring is Rs. 14,000 then
there are two options:
Reduce EMI and keep the term the same
The new EMI is 12,781. We save money each month on the interest component and the principal component. However, some extra tax has to be paid due to lower interest (principal component tax saving is ignored as it is likely to be covered by other 80C sources). Therefore, the sheet calculates the “net savings” for each year and how many years it takes for savings to turn positive (recoup costs). In this case, there is an immediate benefit.
If the extra savings are used to pre-pay the loan systematically, it can be closed 42 months earlier.
There are dual benefits in this case: savings + pre-closure.
Keep EMI the same and reduce tenure
Now the EMI is the same (14,178), but tenure has reduced by 50 months. The interest component is lower (so tax has increased) but principal component has to increase to keep EMI the same. Therefore the net savings is likely to be negative (none) throughout the tenure. That is not a problem if you wish to keep the house for much longer.
In this case, the only benefit is pre-closure.
Please play around with this sheet and share your insights. It will benefit everyone.
Thanks to Mr. Prasanna and Abhishek Singh for useful suggestions.
If you are changing both the tenure, and the emi, then you can use the calculator in this post: How I transferred my home loan from LICHFL to SBI and saved 12 Lakhs!
A detailed Excel Home Loan Amortization Schedule Template is also available which allows periodic and aperiodic pre-payments.
You Can Be Rich Too
My new book with PV Subramanyam, published by CNBC TV 18
The book comes with 9 online calculator modules to create your own financial plan.
Read a Sample Chapter and Buy Now!
What Readers Say
- Simple and powerful This book empowers the reader with the concepts in easy to understand & simple form. Those who have been reading blogs of both authors would know that they are not only good with finance domain but also have a knack of simplifying the methods of investing for their readers. This book by them is a gem of financial knowledge for people who are starting to invest or want to get better at it. The presentation and the thought process with calculators is extremely powerful.The book should be read & calculators used simultaneously to understand the concepts well. The calculators when used with real inputs will show you where you are & where you need to reach for each of your goals. Don’t ignore these numbers.Learnings from Chapters 7 to 11 will help you avoid going off path & saving your money from financially hazardous products. With discipline & right approach suggested here you wouldn’t need a financial advisor to build wealth.
- This is perfect book on personal finance. Very nicely explained about taxation about debt mutual fund. Topics like early investing and asset allocation are very well explained. – Mahesh Deshmukh
- Highly Recommended For anyone who wishes to take control of his/her finance this book is a must read. Very simply put, even an amateur in finance will be able to understand and implement. The author genuinely attempts to inculcate the habit of investing among the people who have the ability to invest but refrain from doing it, either due to lack of time , interest or understanding!. The message from the book is ” Investment done without setting a goal/ objective is like leaving for a trip without knowing the destination, not everytime the end result will be promising. Hence, it’s important to invest in a planned & disciplined manner.” A read is highly recommended ????
- A must book for everyone who wants to take control of personal finance. Nice explanation of how a debt mutual fund works. Bonds trading and indexation benefits in high inflation years were something new I learnt. After reading this book you will be able to easily choose any funds, because you will know what that fund does or how that fund works
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)