An interval income mutual fund or more generally, interval funds is a lesser known class of mutual funds that are open for subscription and redemption only at specified time intervals. A discussion about their main features and how to use them.
An open-ended mutual fund allows purchase and redemptions on all business days. A closed-ended fund is “open” only during the New Fund Offer period. Thereafter, it is closed but can be transferred to someone else via the stock exchange. A Fixed Maturity Plan (FMP) is one of the well-known types of closed-ended mutual funds.
It is important to understand how FMPs work before looking at interval funds. Therefore, I would suggest that you first read How to Select Mutual Fund Fixed Maturity Plans (FMP) and then come back here.
An interval fund is one that is open for subscription only at the end of a specified interval period – monthly, quarterly or yearly or more.
In terms of investment strategy, it resembles a fixed maturity plan: choosing bonds that maturity on or before the interval duration.
For example, consider Birla Sun Life Interval Income Fund – Annual Plan IX. This has an interval of 368 days. Meaning, the fund will remain closed for 367 days after the NFP period is over. On the 368th day or the next business day, it will open for purchase and redemptions for two days. Then will be closed for 367 days and open again for two days and so on.
Like an FMP, although the daily NAV will react to bond market movements, the maturity value is independent of interest rate risk. However, it is subject to credit risk. If a bond issuer defaults, the NAV will fall – significantly.
To learn more about these risks,
List of Interval Mutual Funds
To get a list of interval funds, go to
Select Categories: Debt FMP
Exclude: Regular plans, Closed-ended funds and plans suspended for sales.
You will see that there are different types of interval funds. Some hold cash (money market) and some corporate, PSU and bank bonds of varying credit quality.
Those who wish to invest in interval funds must read the scheme information document and understand the intended asset allocation and associated risks. An indicative return can also be calculated as described in the FMP selection guide above.
How to use Interval Mutual Funds
First, we need to recognise their lack of liquidity. Although they can be traded with a Demat account, this only remains a theoretical possibility Redemptions are possible only when the fund opens after the interval period.
In the case of an FMP, the duration is nowadays more than 3 years because of taxation benefits. In case, of interval funds, it can still be monthly or yearly.
One can but more units each month or each quarter as part of a long-term debt portfolio, but the lack of liquidity is a major disadvantage. One can also use this to invest salary bonuses each year.
In essense, an interval fund is an FMP where the units do not mature and can be held for as long as one desires, and exit at the end of the designated interval. One can also add more units at that time. This can be more convenient than opening multiple FMPs. By choosing a shorter time interval (say monthly), the lack of liquidity can be tackled.
You Can Be Rich Too
My new book with PV Subramanyam, published by CNBC TV 18
The book comes with 9 online calculator modules to create your own financial plan.
Infibeam ₹ 280 with Coupon BS10
Googe Play Books App Store (₹ 244.30)
Read a Sample Chapter and Buy Now!
What Readers Say
- Simple and powerful This book empowers the reader with the concepts in easy to understand & simple form. Those who have been reading blogs of both authors would know that they are not only good with finance domain but also have a knack of simplifying the methods of investing for their readers. This book by them is a gem of financial knowledge for people who are starting to invest or want to get better at it. The presentation and the thought process with calculators is extremely powerful.The book should be read & calculators used simultaneously to understand the concepts well. The calculators when used with real inputs will show you where you are & where you need to reach for each of your goals. Don’t ignore these numbers.Learnings from Chapters 7 to 11 will help you avoid going off path & saving your money from financially hazardous products. With discipline & right approach suggested here you wouldn’t need a financial advisor to build wealth.
- This is perfect book on personal finance. Very nicely explained about taxation about debt mutual fund. Topics like early investing and asset allocation are very well explained. – Mahesh Deshmukh
- Highly Recommended For anyone who wishes to take control of his/her finance this book is a must read. Very simply put, even an amateur in finance will be able to understand and implement. The author genuinely attempts to inculcate the habit of investing among the people who have the ability to invest but refrain from doing it, either due to lack of time , interest or understanding!. The message from the book is ” Investment done without setting a goal/ objective is like leaving for a trip without knowing the destination, not everytime the end result will be promising. Hence, it’s important to invest in a planned & disciplined manner.” A read is highly recommended 🖒
- A must book for everyone who wants to take control of personal finance. Nice explanation of how a debt mutual fund works. Bonds trading and indexation benefits in high inflation years were something new I learnt. After reading this book you will be able to easily choose any funds, because you will know what that fund does or how that fund works
Read all reviews here: Amazon Reviews
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google Plus and Pinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. The Kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is now only Rs 199 (Kindle Rs. 99) Get it or gift it to a young earner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)