Use this tool to analyze the returns from monthly SIP investments in mutual funds for investment periods ranging from one to seven years. For comparison, SIP returns of an equity index (choose among Sensex, Nifty, CNX small cap and CNX mid cap) is also calculated.
- Choose the mutual fund you need to analyze, click the analyze fund macro button and observe the results! As simple as that.
- Mutual Fund NAV history from 3rd April 2006 to the last business day are retrieved from the AMFI website
- SIP returns, investment value, total units etc. are calculated for investment durations ranging from 1 to years with the last business day as the end-date
- Choose a relevant equity index, click the analyze index macro button and observe results!
- CNX Nifty, CNX small cap and CNX large cap data from 3rd April 2006 to 30th Sep. 2013, retrieved from the NSE website is already available in the file.
- Data for these indices from 1st October 2013 to last business date will be retrieved from Yahoo! Finance and combined with the NSE data.
- The NSE site server is finicky and does not allow large data range downloads! Yahoo! Finance does have full data. Hence this arrangement
- Sensex data from 3rd April 2006 to last business day is retrieved from Yahoo finance.
- Why April 3rd 2006? That is the last date in the AMFI database! If you want NAV history from fund inception you can use this downloader to retrieve it from Yahoo! Finance. However, this is not possible for some funds like HDFC Top 200.
- Lump sum returns for (approximately) the same period as the SIP durations is also calculated for the fund and index.
- You can also calculate returns for any two dates within the NAV history (instructions in the file)
- Results for HDFC Balanced Fund is shown in the screenshot
- I would like to include debt fund indices like CRISIL composite bond etc. Does anyone know how this is possible?
- Important: Use growth option only for analysis. Do you know why?!
Download the Mutual Fund SIP Returns Analyzer (Mar. 2014)
Thanks to Satya S Mishra for pointing out errors. BSE Bankex has been removed. All errors weeded out (hopefully!)
Compare with BSE Sensex, CNX Nifty, CNX Midcap, CNX 500, BSE 100, BSE 200 and BSE 500, partly from Yahoo finance and partly from NSE and BSE.
Download the Mutual Fund SIP Returns Analyzer (Jan. 2014)
Compare with BSE Sensex, CNX Nifty, CNX Midcap, CNX 500 and BSE Bankex from Yahoo finance.
Compare with BSE Sensex from Yahoo Finance, CNX Nifty, CNX Midcap, CNX Small Cap from NSE (unreliable and gives errors)
(Excel 2007, enable macros, enable data connections, active internet connection needed!)
If you need a .xls file for Excel 2003 or lower versions, leave a comment.
Comments and suggestions are welcome
Register for the New Delhi DIY Investor meet: April 23rd 2017Get free, yet comprehensive calculators, tools and analysis delivered to your mailbox! Subscribe to get posts via email
Buy our New Book!You Can Be Rich With Goal-based Investing A book by P V Subramanyam (subramoney.com) & M Pattabiraman. Read more about the book and pre-order now!