Here is a video description of how to select an equity mutual fund in under 30 minutes using the freefincal mutual fund screener (now in Mac!) and if necessary with the rolling returns calculator.
The 5th version of the mutual fund screener was posted yesterday. I noticed a couple of bugs later. So I request that you redownload the file.
Download the freefincal mutual fund screener (May 2016 windows Excel)
Download the Mac Excel freefincal mutual fund screener (May 2016 Mac Excel)
A google sheets edition without some features is also available Mutual Fund Screener- Google Sheets Edition
Instructions to log into Value Research
- Open blank excel
- Select Data in the menu
- Click get external data and then from web
- Excel will open an internet browser-like window (basically a box where you enter an url) and there will be annoying script error messages. Dismiss them.
- Then Go to VR online in that window and go to the main page. There will be annoying messages. Dismiss them.
- Click on login. If you are not able to do so. Stop the page from downloading and then click login
- Login with your email (preferable) and click on remember me.
- Now you can exit the browser window and start using the screener. It should work fine now.
Before heading to the video, it is important to recognise that this is a simple, (some might call) crude way to shortlist funds and pick one from them. It is more important to pick a fund and start investing rather than suffer from analysis paralysis.
It always important to remember that Selecting the right equity mutual fund scheme is not possible!
Note: In addition to these steps, once you have selected 1/2 funds, do spend some time reading about the investment style of the fund from the AMC website.
More details about the sheet can be found here: Mutual Fund Screener Version 5.0