This is a guest post by Aparna C K. She has compiled the following guide to e-file income tax return for AY 2014-15. These instructions are valid for AY 2015-16 and AY 2016-17 also.
If you have already filed your ITR, do forward this post to a person who is yet to do so.
How to file ITR using efile website:
Create a login. This is useful for future also.
- Go to this site: https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Click on Register on the top-right, to create a login. A page will appear asking for details.
- This blog targets common people and not any other user type listed. Out of the two options in the first line of the “User Type” page, select individual, unless you know that you are HUF.
- Follow the steps. Be sure to enter the correct First name, middle name and Surname as per PAN database. Otherwise check it in this link, using your PAN. https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/KnowYourJurisdictionLink.html
- Enter all the necessary details correctly, your registration will be successful. PAN no will be your user ID
- Know which ITR you are supposed to file:
a)If you have an income from just salary, house property and bank deposits (Savings, FD, RD, Flexi RD), it is ITR1
b)If you have income specified in a) and income from selling Real Estate, Stocks, Mutual fund units, derivatives, gold etc, or you have withdrawn EPF/PPF, it is ITR2
If you do not have capital gains, income from business or profession, foreign assets or income you can use ITR2A
c) For partners in firms, it is ITR3 (this has been removed)
d)If you have income specified in a),b), and income from business or profession (fee-based and not salary based), all in the same financial year, it is ITR-4 (now ITRS)
e) For people having presumptive business (small businessmen and professionals with income less than 60L a year)it is ITR4S
- Login using the PAN number and password created above. You will see this image
- First click on "View Form 26AS” on the 3rd link in the left and check on all the TDS information.
- It your return type is ITR1 or ITR4S, then click on the “Quick e-File ITR” link and proceed as described in next few sections.
- If your return type is other than those mentioned in 3 above, click on “Download ITR” link. Note that you can see both excel and java utilities for ITR1 to ITR3 and ITR4S, but only java utility for ITR4. If you have java runtime Environment 1.7 or above installed, or you are willing to install, it is advisable to use java utility. Reason is it is neater and easier to use with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) than excel utility. You will get a zip file. Java can run in linux as well. Windows batch file and linux script files are provided for running. Now that you have all the tools ready, here is how you go about filling the form.
ITR1 using quick – e file (Why would you choose any other option!)
1) Select form name as ITR1 and Assessment year as 2014-15, note that it is not 2013-14, this is where newbies get confused first. Choose the appropriate option for the address pre-fill, if you are not sure, click on new address. Digital Sign: If you have, select yes. If you do not know what it is, do not bother, select no and press “Submit”.
Next a web interface appears which will have tabs equal to the number of sheets in ITR1 excel sheet utility or number of tabs in java utility. There is one-one correspondence between all these 3 options. With the quick e-file option you are doing now, most of personal information, and tax details would have got filled automatically. Note that you can fill only white cells and not gray cells. Keep saving the work often.
- If you had clicked on new address before submitting, fill the address field in the Personal information tab. Verify the Personal information tab.
- Filing Status: Entries here are fairly easy to fill. In A21, choose option 11 if you are filing before July 31st or option 12 if you are filing afterwards
- Now move to the Tax Details tab. Your TDS information as in Form 16 provided by the employer and TDS information if any tax got deducted by the bank where you hold FDs should be there already. If not, it is time to contact the bank and check why they have not deposited the tax.
- Now, go to Income details tab. Fill income under salary as per the Form 16, point 3.
- Select house property if you have. Note that if it is self-occupied, you cann
ot claim HRA under section 10. If it is let out, declare the rent income in the next row.
- Enter the income from other sources. This should include accrued income under Savings bank account, FD and RDs across all banks. Accrued means not necessarily credited, in case of FD and RDs.
- Start filling section 80 under B4. You can claim exemption up to 1,00,000 under C1. 80C For a detailed account of what can be claimed under 80C, please see this.
- Claim health insurance premium under C6. 80D. Note that if you have family floater, even if parents are senior citizens, you can claim just up to Rs 15000. If it is individual cover for parents, you can claim up to Rs 20000.
- Claim exemption up to Rs 10,000 on savings bank portion of B3, under C17. 80TTA
- If you have made any donations that are qualified for income tax exemptions, go to the last tab 80G and enter the details. You can do this, only if you have received a certificate with the details of the donee.
- Come back to Income Details tab.
- Have a look at C20, D1…D12. See if D7 is applicable to you. Try to understand all of them. If D12 is a positive number, you need to pay “Self assessment tax”(SAT). Do this by clicking on “E-Pay Tax” on the left. One way to avoid this would have been by paying “Advance Tax” before March 31st. No interest needs to be paid in that case.
- After Paying SAT, my guess is, it would appear automatically under Tax paid tab, if not, manually fill it.
- Go to Taxes paid and Verification tab.
- It should show 'zero' under D17. Manually check D14,D15 and D16. If you have paid excess tax, it will show a positive number in D18.
- Detailed Income slab rates for AY14-15 can be found here.
- Verify the tax to be paid with the official income tax calculator.
- Fill all the bank details carefully. Report any small exempted income (less than or equal to Rs. 5000) in D22, for example equity gains by selling shares or units older than a year.
- Check once again all the tabs and press submit.
- You will receive an acknowledgment mail, with attached PDF (password encrypted, with your pan in lower case followed by DOB in DDMMYYYY)
- Print the pdf, sign it, and send it to the address mentioned in the bottom, by ORDINARY POST OR SPEED POST provided by Indian Post Office, no courier.
Buy our New Book!You Can Be Rich With Goal-based Investing A book by P V Subramanyam (subramoney.com) & M Pattabiraman. Hard bound. Price: Rs. 399/- (Rs. 359/- at Amazon.in). Read more about the book and pre-order now!