Here is a step by step guide to file income tax return (ITR1) for AY 2017-18. Please consider forwarding this to a person who is going to file returns for this first time. This is an updated version of a guest post by Aparna C K.
How to file ITR using efile website:
Create a login. This is useful for future also.
- Go to this site: https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Click on Register on the top-right, to create a login. A page will appear asking for details.
- This blog targets common people and not any other user type listed. Out of the two options in the first line of the “User Type” page, select individual, unless you know that you are HUF.
- Follow the steps. Be sure to enter the correct First name, middle name and Surname as per PAN database. Otherwise check it in this link, using your PAN. https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/KnowYourJurisdictionLink.html
- Enter all the necessary details correctly, your registration will be successful. PAN no will be your user ID
- Know which ITR you are supposed to file:
a)If you have an income from just salary, house property and bank deposits (Savings, FD, RD, Flexi RD), it is ITR1 (total income up to 50 L)
b)If you have income specified in a) and income from selling Real Estate, Stocks, Mutual fund units, derivatives, gold etc, or you have withdrawn EPF/PPF, it is ITR2 (individual or HUF with no business income)
If in addition to the above, you (or HUF) have income from a business or proprietorship, ITR3
e) For people having presumptive business (small businessmen and professionals with income less than 60L a year)it is ITR4S (no capital gains allowed)
For all others, it is ITR5 (other than individual)
First click on “View Form 26AS” under “my account”.
If your return type is ITR1 or ITR4, then click on the “Quick e-File ITR” link and proceed as described in next few sections.
If your return type is other than those mentioned in 3 above, get them from here Download ITR . Note that you can see both excel and java utilities for ITR1, ITR2,ITR3 and ITR4S, If you have java runtime Environment 1.7 or above installed, or you are willing to install, it is advisable to use java utility. The reason is it is neater and easier to use with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) than excel utility. You will get a zip file. Java can run in linux as well. Windows batch file and linux script files are provided for running. Now that you have all the tools ready, here is how you go about filling the form.
ITR1 using quick – e file (Why would you choose any other option!)
1) Select form name as ITR1 and Assessment year as 2014-15, note that it is not 2013-14, this is where newbies get confused first. Choose the appropriate option for the address pre-fill, if you are not sure, click on new address. Digital Sign: If you have, select yes. If you do not know what it is, do not bother, select no and press “Submit”.
Next a web interface appears which will have tabs equal to the number of sheets in ITR1 excel sheet utility or number of tabs in java utility. There is a one-one correspondence between all these 3 options. With the quick e-file option you are doing now, most of the personal information, and tax details would have got filled automatically. Note that you can fill only white cells and not gray cells. Keep saving the work often.
If you had clicked on new address before submitting, fill the address field in the Personal information tab. Verify the Personal information tab.
Filing Status: Entries here are fairly easy to fill. In A21, choose option 11 if you are filing before July 31st or option 12 if you are filing afterwards
Now move to the Tax Details tab. Your TDS information as in Form 16 provided by the employer and TDS information if any tax got deducted by the bank where you hold FDs should be there already. If not, it is time to contact the bank and check why they have not deposited the tax.
Now, go to Income details tab. Fill income under salary as per the Form 16, point 3.
Select house property if you have. Note that if it is self-occupied, you cannot claim HRA under section 10. If it is let out, declare the rent income in the next row.
Enter the income from other sources. This should include accrued income under Savings bank account, FD and RDs across all banks. Accrued means not necessarily credited, in case of FD and RDs.
Start filling section 80 under B4. You can claim exemption up to 1,50,000 under . 80C
Claim health insurance premium under 80D.
Self+spouse+children (all < 60Y of age) 25000 + parents: 25000 (<60Y of age)
Self+spouse+children (all < 60Y of age) 25000 + parents: 30000 (>60Y of age)
Self+spouse+children (one or more > 60Y of age) 30000 + parents: 30000 (>60Y of age)
Claim exemption up to Rs 10,000 on savings bank portion of B3, under C17. 80TTA
If you have made any donations that are qualified for income tax exemptions, go to the last tab 80G and enter the details. You can do this, only if you have received a certificate with the details of the donee.
Come back to Income Details tab.
- Have a look at D1…D10 See if D6 is applicable to you. Try to understand all of them. If D10 is a positive number, you need to pay “Self assessment tax”(SAT). Do this by clicking on “E-Pay Tax” on the left. One way to avoid this would have been by paying “Advance Tax” before March 31st. No interest needs to be paid in that case.
- After Paying SAT, my guess is, it would appear automatically under Tax paid tab, if not, manually fill it.
- Go to Taxes paid and Verification tab.
- It should show ‘zero’ under D12.
- Fill all the bank details carefully. Report any small exempted income (less than or equal to Rs. 5000) in D22, for example, equity gains by selling shares or units older than a year.
- Check once again all the tabs and press submit.
You can e-verify the return using the detailed instruction given here
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google Plus and Pinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. The Kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is now only Rs 199 (Kindle Rs. 99) Get it or gift it to a young earner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)