Here are ten questions that every investor should answer. I have inserted links to relevant posts for some questions.
If you are DIY investor or intend to be one, ask yourself these questions. If you have engaged a financial planner, ask these questions to the planner .
If you have any suggestions that would help us all answer these questions better, I am all ears.
A suggestion: please copy these questions on a word processor and answer them. Include relevant links etc.
1) Have I listed all my financial goals, categorised them as per duration and decided on suitable asset allocation for each goal?
2) Have I determined how much I need to invest for each goal as per the intended asset allocation?
Related posts: A Step-By-Step Guide to Long Term Goal-Based Investing
3) Have I determined how much I can invest for each goal and begun investing?
4) Do I have a plan to tackle the shortfall in the investment amount?
5) Is my portfolio diversified across asset classes and diversified within each asset classes?
6) Am my monitoring my investments month by month? Am I maintaining a schedule?
Related posts: Monthly Financial Tracker
7) Am I monitoring my net portfolio value and returns for each goal at least once a year? Do I know if I am on track wrt each goal and if not, have I determined the cause? If my goal is to build wealth, am I tracking the CAGR and taking steps to
Related posts: Automated Mutual Fund and Financial Goal Tracker
8) Do I know how to measure risk of an instrument or portfolio? Do I understand the idea of risk-adjusted return? Do I understand the importance of downside protection?
9) When do I exit a poor performer? Do I look at only returns? Do I look at the nature of the holding and make a call? Am I tracking the holding month by month (eg, mf portfolio)?
Related posts: Mutual Fund Risk and Return Analyzer
10) Am I going to be a ‘buy and hold’ investor or am I going to use ‘tactical asset allocation’? If I am going to make tactical calls, have I decided on what basis am I going to act? PE ratio, PEG ratio, FearGreedIndex, GDP? How am I going to ascertain the ‘state of the market’?
Let me add one more which can be handled down the line.
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google PlusandPinterest
Do check out my books
Get it now. It is also available in Kindle format.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is meant for young earners to get their basics right from day one! It will also help you travel to exotic places at low cost! Get it or gift it to a youngearner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)