Here are ten questions that every investor should answer. I have inserted links to relevant posts for some questions.
If you are DIY investor or intend to be one, ask yourself these questions. If you have engaged a financial planner, ask these questions to the planner .
If you have any suggestions that would help us all answer these questions better, I am all ears.
A suggestion: please copy these questions on a word processor and answer them. Include relevant links etc.
1) Have I listed all my financial goals, categorised them as per duration and decided on suitable asset allocation for each goal?
2) Have I determined how much I need to invest for each goal as per the intended asset allocation?
Related posts: A Step-By-Step Guide to Long Term Goal-Based Investing
3) Have I determined how much I can invest for each goal and begun investing?
4) Do I have a plan to tackle the shortfall in the investment amount?
5) Is my portfolio diversified across asset classes and diversified within each asset classes?
6) Am my monitoring my investments month by month? Am I maintaining a schedule?
Related posts: Monthly Financial Tracker
7) Am I monitoring my net portfolio value and returns for each goal at least once a year? Do I know if I am on track wrt each goal and if not, have I determined the cause? If my goal is to build wealth, am I tracking the CAGR and taking steps to
Related posts: Automated Mutual Fund and Financial Goal Tracker
8) Do I know how to measure risk of an instrument or portfolio? Do I understand the idea of risk-adjusted return? Do I understand the importance of downside protection?
9) When do I exit a poor performer? Do I look at only returns? Do I look at the nature of the holding and make a call? Am I tracking the holding month by month (eg, mf portfolio)?
Related posts: Mutual Fund Risk and Return Analyzer
10) Am I going to be a 'buy and hold' investor or am I going to use 'tactical asset allocation'? If I am going to make tactical calls, have I decided on what basis am I going to act? PE ratio, PEG ratio, FearGreedIndex, GDP? How am I going to ascertain the 'state of the market'?
Let me add one more which can be handled down the line.
Subscribe to get posts via email
|You Can Be Rich Too With Goal-based Investing A book that can help you ask the right questions about money and find simple solutions. Comes with nine online calculator modules. Read more about the book and order now!|
GameChanger - Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live The Rich Live You want Take that international trip at 50% lower costs! Optimise credit card usage! Set money management on auto-pilot! Read more about the book and order now!