Unfortunately, Value Research Online changed their website format shortly after this tool was released. I often wonder if they did that because of this tool!
So this tool does not work anymore. I only keep this post for sentimental reasons.
If you wish you to analyse your mutual funds try these:
Use this tool to analyze the performance of your equity mutual funds by retrieving annual returns data from Value Research Online.
Most people start questioning the ability of their mutual fund investments when they see their corpus in the red for a prolonged period and wonder if they should continue their investments.
Trouble is, although many are aware of websites like Value Research, MoneyControl and Morning Star, they are not sure of what data they should use for analyzing mutual fund performance.
I had earlier posted a DIY fund analysis on HDFC Top 200 using relevant data from the above online resources. Unfortunately, it appears that even this is too much for many investors!
Most equity investors require professional help from a financial planner. Of course, for reasons best known only to them, they seem to prefer free lunch!
What do I care?! Not my money!
Instead of flogging a dead horse, let us focus on a more fruitful pursuit.
Can we have a tool that uses minimal information to monitor performance of current mutual fund investments and yet come up with meaningful results?
Of course, minimal information implies minimal analysis! We can live with that for the time being … if the tool serves its purpose.
As the first step in answering this question, here is a tool that retrieves annual returns data for equity mutual funds from Value Research Online. This data is found under the performance tab in the funds page.
- Compares the fund performance with category average and two benchmark indices – typically Sensex and Nifty (could differ) for the last 5 years
- Calculates the last 3-years and 5-years CAGR for the fund and indices.
- If you wish to quickly get an idea of fund performance, but have trouble finding the right information.
- If you want reassurance to continue your SIPs.
- The annual returns retrieved are point-to-point returns similar to a lump sum investment.
- Corresponding results for SIP investments are likely to be very different – stay tuned for a SIP returns analyzer!
- We should pay attention to fund performance when the market fails. For example, if Sensex returns for two consecutive years are -30% and +30% and fund corresponding fund returns are -25% and +25%, I would be pretty happy with that – downside protection is crucial to safeguard the fruit of compounding.
- This is a simple analysis tool designed for people who do not know where to look for information, when they want to analyse their mutual fund investments.
- Experienced investors would require more in depth analysis (coming soon!)
- Most often the result would indicate the need to stay invested to reap benefits!
Download the equity mutual fund analyser lite version (Updated with better user interface as suggested by Ravi in the comments section)
(Excel 2007; macros to be enabled; active internet connection needed while operation)
Excel 2003 version is here
Kindly evaluate the tool and let me know of any issues.
If find this tool useful do consider sharing it among your social contacts.
Suggestions for improvement are welcome!
Connect with us on social media
- Twitter @freefincal
- Subscribe to our Youtube Videos
- Posts feed via: Feedburner
- We are also on Google Plus and Pinterest
Do check out my books
My first book is now available at a 35% discount for Rs. 258. It comes with nine online calculators. Get it now . The Kindle edition is only Rs. 199.
Gamechanger: Forget Startups, Join Corporate & Still Live the Rich Life You WantMy second book is now only Rs 199 (Kindle Rs. 99) Get it or gift it to a young earner
The ultimate guide to travel by Pranav SuryaThis is a deep dive analysis into vacation planning, finding cheap flights, budget accommodation, what to do when travelling, how travelling slowly is better financially and psychologically with links to the web pages and hand-holding at every step. Get the pdf for ₹199 (instant download)
Free Apps for your Android PhoneAll calculators from our book, “You can be Rich Too” are now available on Google Play!
Install Financial Freedom App! (Google Play Store)
Install Freefincal Retirement Planner App! (Google Play Store)
Find out if you have enough to say "FU" to your employer (Google Play Store)